College Day Absences:
Junior and Senior college day absences are earned time off from school to visit prospective colleges or post-secondary schools.
- Junior and Seniors are not automatically allowed the two days per semester for college visits, but must earn them through good attendance and scholarship.
- Students who are struggling academically or students who have a poor attendance record at the time of application may not be granted this time off from school. The house administrator will need to authorize this absence, if attendance is a concern.
- Students must make application for the college day(s) at least three days in advance of the absence from school.
- Failure to apply for the “College Day” absence prior to the actual visit will result in the denial of the “College Day” and the absence will count toward the student’s attendance allotment.
- Returning students must provide written documentation on school letterhead (the school visited) to the Attendance Office the day he/she returns to school.
- Failure to do so will result in denial of the “College Day” and the day missed will be counted toward the student’s attendance allotment. This absence may also result in a violation of the truancy policy.
College Day applications are available in the attendance office.
Special School Absences:
- School trips or functions approved by the administration will be tracked in attendance record totals but will not count toward maximum limits affecting credit.
- Attendance at school is required on the same day of extra-curricular activities, sports, spirit groups, etc.
- Absences the day after an event may have effect on future participation.
- Students should complete assignments prior to leaving on school trips. However, circumstances may prevent this. It is the student’s responsibility to coordinate with teachers and complete any missing/incomplete assignments.
- Completed work is due upon return to class unless other arrangements are made in advance, missed exams must be taken immediately upon return to the class.
- Students who leave class before the approved dismissal time will be counted absent.